Dear Awesome Daughter,
As a mom, you try to teach your kids everything they may ever need to know to stay safe and healthy. Here’s something I failed to teach my kids because I did not learn it myself until late last night.
If you are ever searching through drawers looking for something and you open a drawer that hasn’t been opened in weeks and see a small plastic bag lying inside, the kind of bag they put your purchases in at the grocery store… and you put your hand inside the drawer and touch the bag and it is full of something soft and very squishy… Do Not Pick Up The Bag And Look Inside! Especially not while you are inhaling!
Something extremely rotten was inside the bag, covered with black mold. And yes, I happened to be breathing in when I opened the bag and the rotten moldy stench almost made me pass out.
I think I will be all right. I’m coughing some but hopefully that’s not a sign I’m getting sick, but rather that my body is ridding itself of any mold spores I may have inhaled. I am healthy overall and from what I found online when I Googled HELP I JUST INHALED A LOT OF MOLD SPORES AM I GOING TO DIE, most people do not die or even get very sick. So, whew…. I think.
What was originally in that bag and how did it get into the bottom drawer in the kitchen — Who Knows? Dan* doesn’t know, either. My guess: the beef-filled chimichangas he brought home several weeks ago and set somewhere in the kitchen and then, when he later asked if I had eaten the chimis and I had no idea what he was talking about… I suspect the bag full of chimis somehow got knocked down off the countertop and fell into an open drawer and the drawer was later closed by someone.
Life — you never know what’s coming next. I don’t want “killed by inhaling a rotten chimichanga” on my death certificate, ya know? It’s crazy to think that we have gone to all the expense and inconvenience and hard work of ripping out our only bathroom in the house and replacing it with all new everything because (the relatives we allowed to stay rent-free in our house for ten months) had left it full of hazardous black mold growing all over the ceiling and some on the walls and even on the floor… and here we had black disgusting mold growing inside a drawer in the kitchen due to our own carelessness and/or forgetfulness and We Had No Idea. ARRRRGH.
LOVE AND HUGS, Your Mama
~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~
PS: A few hours after posting this I found that I had a fever of over 101. Eek. Mold inhaling, never a good idea.
PPS: One week and one day later, I am just beginning to recover from two different bacterial infections that I probably got as a result of my inadvertent encounter with the black mold of death. See my next post for more information. Beware black mold, it can be very toxic.
*Names are changed
~ ~ ~
ABOUT COMMENTS: I have disabled comments to focus on writing my memoir. In the meantime, you may contact me on Twitter via @LadyQuixote.
~ ~ ~